Notes for Humphrey Cole, Rev
Burgess of Tillingham
!Information from web site: http://www.essexpubs.net/Directories/Tillingham.htm
"TILLINGHAM is a parish and a large and pleasant village, 4 miles north-east from Southminster terminal station on the Southend section of the London and North Eastern railway, 7 miles north-east-by-north from Burnham and 14 east-south-east from Maldon, in the Maldon division of the Co., Dengie hundred and petty sessional division, Maldon rural district and county court district, and in the rural deanery of Dengie, archdeaconry of Southend and Chelmsford diocese: the Village is about 3 miles from the North Sea, but the parish extends to its borders. The church of St. Nicholas, which stands in a fine open space in the centre of the village, is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, and was repaired in 1708 by a rate on the inhabitants; the south aisle was rebuilt in 1866, and in 1891 the church underwent a complete restoration; it consists of 12th century chancel, nave of four bays, south aisle, porch and an embattles 12th century tower at the west end containing a clock with chimes, placed in 1887, and 6 bells, the second about 1515, third about 1460 (neither dated), others, 1684, 1707 and 1684: the peal was refitted and rehung and a sixth bell added in 1889; the tower was much damaged by lightning towards the close of the 18th century, but in 1888 was completely restored and its stair-turret rebuilt: the piscina and sedilia are still intact, and the font is a good example of early work: the doorway on the north side is mainly 11th century Norman: there is a brass to Edward Wiot esq. ob. July ,1584, with a Latin verse; and one to John Wakeman, ob. 1584; there are several stained windows, one to the late Canon Liddon D.D. chancellor of St. Paul's; one to Humphrey Cole, vicar here 1588-1624, ..."
!Information from Bob Reynolds: Humphrey Cole: Born and educated in Ipswich, Suffolk, England, Humphrey was admitted to Pembroke College in 1589 and received his B.A. in 1593 and his M.A. in 1598. Humphrey was married twice, first to Mary Mott and 2nd to Hester. He left a Will dated 4 Nov 1623, proved 17 May 1624, naming son Robert (student at Emmanuel College), wife Hester, and sons William (now in Virginia), Thomas and John. He also named sons-in-law Micajah or Michael Wood and John George.
| HOME | EMAIL | SURNAMES |
Page built by Gedpage Version 2.21 ©2009 on 18 May 2011