He studied law at Philadelphia, went abroad in 1741, and entered Middle
Temple, Inns of Court, London. He returned to America after his father's
death. He was admitted to the bar in 1746 and began practice at Dover,
Delaware (formerly under the jurisdiction of Pennsylvania). Move to
Philadelphia in 1754 and built his country seat, "Cliveden," on the
Germantown road in 1761. He was a Commissioner of Boundaries for the
three lower counties of Delaware in 1751; Speaker of the House from the
same district in 1753-1758; Attorney General of Pennsylvania and member
of the Provincial Council 1754-1769; Register of General Wills
1765-1776; Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania 1774-1776;
Judge and President of the High Court of Errors and Appeals 1791-1806
(Pa. Archives: Pa. Hist. Society Publications: Keith's "Provincial
Councillors of Pennsylvania").
!Marriage Data: From the Maryland Gazette, pg 31...16 June 1747: Mary daughter of John Galloway. Married on Sat. 13 Jun 1747.